A tofu dish that is in regular rotation at my house. If you’re feeling skeptical about trying tofu- this one’s for you!
1 block of firm tofu
1 tbsp coconut or avocado oil
2 tbsp miso
1/4 cup warm water
2 tbsp balsamic vinegar
2 tbsp maple syrup
2 tbsp soy sauce
1 tbsp Mirin
1 tsp sesame oil
1. Preheat pan over medium high heat.
2. Cut tofu into 1/2 inch cubes. Once the pan is hot, add oil and place cubes into pan. Make sure not to crowd the tofu so that is able to sear on both sides. Cook tofu until it starts to brown, about 8 minutes, then flip and cook other side.
3. While the tofu cooks, make your sauce. Combine the miso and warm water in a bowl or jar. Use a whisk or fork to break up the clumps of miso to allow it to dissolve in the water.
4. Add vinegar, syrup, soy sauce, Mirin, and sesame oil and stir to combine.
5. Turn the heat down to medium low and add sauce to tofu in pan. Allow the sauce to come to a simmer. It will start to reduce and thicken after about 8-10 minutes.